Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL connection through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummermoose

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
Hi!

I have setup a VPN connection between two stores. The main store uses a retail program based in SQL 2000. I need to be able to connect the new store to the SQL database.

The program suppliers say that we need to use remote desktop login to access the program. The only problem is that the server is Windows 2003 SBS, which only can have two remote connections at one time, which is not enough. (probably need about 8 connections)

The program uses an XML file to connect to the SQL database. I have successfully edited this file to have the internal static IP of the server to directly connect through the VPN tunnel from the new store. The program works but is working very slow when certain screens are accessed.

We have a old server which has Windows 2000 sbs on which is not in use.

Does anyone have any ideas (in or out of the box) which can be used to make a connection to this sql database for live data from the new store for about 8 computers?, without having to fork out loads of money purchasing full version of Windows 2003 server etc.

Many thanks for your help on this.

Ok - i'm going for remote access using terminal services.

We're using Windows 2003SBS - this only gives 2 cocurrent connections.

We still have our Windows 2000sbs, I have demoted it so its not a domain server and linked it to the 2003sbs network. Can I use terminal services through this server to make it an application sever for remote clients to connect to?

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back