Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL agent install? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseybc

Technical User
Nov 28, 2000
US
I am running MS SQL server on one of my servers and when I try to install the SQL agent I get the error that SQL is not installed on this machine and the SQL agent install fails. Any ideas?

What versions of ArcServe and SQL are you running?

I'm not familiar with other versions of ArcServe, but I know that 6.61's SQL agent will only work with SQL6.5 or higher, and I'm not sure how well it will work with SQL2000 Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

ArcServe 2000 and SQL 8.00.194. I am trying to install the ArcServe 2000 agent for SQL and but it claims I am not running SQL. I tried the ArcServe service pack but that had no effect. How might I back up the database otherwise?

Is it possible that it would not install if the SQL server was not running?

Not sure if this is helpful, but I never could get the SQL agent running right with Arcserve 6.5 and SQL under WinNT 4.0, so I took the cheap way out- I dumped the database at regular intervals to a seperate volume and backed up the resulting dump as a file as opposed to backing up the database through the agent. Worked like a charm. My down time was minimal (2GB database) and my backups were 100% for a long time. I'm not sure if SQL 2000 is as easy, but previous versions made this the simplest solution. Since you're going over a network anyway, this might even be safer as far as restores are concerned. If it's a small database (under 800MB or so) you can probably dump the database several times a day and keep the dumps fairly handy in case a quick rollback is necessary. That one saved my bacon more than a dozen times, but you have to have the space available!

Thanks for the advice. One question, how do you dump the database? That sounds like a perfect solution to my problem. The size is the database is rather small.

I am also having the same problem when I try to install the Backup Agent for Microsoft SQL.

I working on an NT 4.0 server SP6a.
Arcserve 2000 AE
MS SQL 2000
Backup Agent for Microsoft SQL.
Latest patches.

My database is a lot bigger and I need to be able to back it up.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get past this error?

For SQL2000 get LO82876 from the CA website. Then install the patches.

LO82876 - this patch is a full version of sql2000 agent..
Please install this agent on the sql2000 box and check it out...

Baba says...
"Known is a drop, unknown is a ocean"

After uninstalling the sql backup agent, I was unable to install it, kept saying there was no MS Sql server. I looked for LO82876 but the patch had been pulled. The following did solve the problem however.

PRODUCT: ARCserve 2000 AE/WG Edition RELEASE: 7.0

APAR #: LO91562 DATE: 30 MAR 2001

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: NT -SILENT INSTALL OF THE SQL 2000 AGENT HANGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back