Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris FTP error - Broken pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzaman99

Technical User
Nov 16, 2004
CA
I am trying to FTP files from a Sun Solaris platform to another platform using standard ftp. Part of the transfer is to ftp large files (~300Mb) and during the transfer of one of these files I get an intermittent error - ftp debug shows ftp error code 550 and the message "Broken pipe" after which the transfer aborts.

Has anyone seen this before - it seems to be intermittent (maybe happens on one out of 3 attempts) and isn't always related to the same file on the Solaris platform.

Is this related to the file size / transfer time or could there be a network issue ?

do you ftp inhouse or do you send data over the internet using a ftp proxy?

what is your host? Which Hardware? Which OS Release? Did you check the networking and ftp Patches? Where did you find the "broken pipe" error?

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Couple of obvious questions - is there sufficient space on the server to accommodate the file, and are there any other processes using this file at the same time. I have seen this where an automated process is picking up a file and renaming it before the file transfer has completed. Finally is this a direct connection or going via a firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back