Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple?: Breaking out data by Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinnegan

Programmer
Feb 20, 2003
CA
Hello,

Please excuse my ignorance, I am completely new to Crystal.
I did not seet this addressed in the FAQ area, so here goes:

I'm trying to create a very simple line chart, showing the state of my data on each day over a period of time (say one month).

Each record has a status, say: "red", "yellow", "green" and "blue".
Each record also has a SubmittedDate field.
Using a crosstab, I have "SubmittedDate" as my columns, "Status.Name" as my row and "Count(Status.Name)" as my summarized field.

This gives me almost what I want. I'm seeing how many of each status was entered on each day.
But what I want to see is: How many of each status EXISTED on each day.

I was expecting to find in Crystal tools to create a chart over time, assigning a granularity (day, week, month), choosing a Master Date (SubmittedDate) and selecting "cumulative" or not. I could not find these tools, and I am as yet unable to create the chart I want.

To be certain I'm clear, I had entered:
Monday: 1 red, 2 blue.
Tuesday: 1 blue, 3 green, 1 yellow.
Wednesday, 1 red, 1 blue.

The chart I currently have reads as such:
Monday Tuesday Wednesday
red: 1 0 1
yellow: 0 1 0
green 0 3 0
blue 2 1 1

But the chart I WANT is:
Monday Tuesday Wednesday
red: 1 1 2
yellow: 0 1 1
green 0 3 3
blue 2 3 4

Thank you very much for any help you may offer.
I am using CrystalReports9.

DRW

Most people wouldn't consider your request a chart, rather a crosstab.

If you want to use a real chart, select a line chart, create a running total on the field you want, and use that running total to demonstrate the cumulative total.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

synapsvampire:

Thank you for your response. I realize that what I described was a crosstab, I was using it to collect the data for my line chart.

Is it adviseable to simply create the chart without the crosstab?

As I said, I'm new to Crystal, and I was under the impression that the crosstab was needed to provide data for the chart. I don't have any use for it other than that.

Thank you for your help.
Phin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back