Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick98 & windows10

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryL2

Technical User
Dec 4, 2004
US
I got Sidekick98 to install when I got my new machine last Christmas and for the most part it works fine.

I have to wait about 3 minutes or so once the machine has booted to start Sidekick98 and it will run.

Today however, when I tried to start Sidekick98, the install window came up and Sidekick98 wanted to re-install itself. I tried getting out of that window and it would close the program. So I had to click on the install button and then shut it down and then it would startup correctly.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas on how to remedy it?

Thanks,

Jerry

The only somewhat similar annoyance I have bee putting up with is on my machine at work that is now running Win 7 64-bit. I started out with Sidekick 2 way back when with Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP and finally Win 7 32-bit. I think it was finally Win 7 when I had to abandon Sidekick 2 and go with Sidekick 98. But even that has become a problem with the 64-bit machine in that it does not always start up. What happens with me is that the startup logo (see attachment) and then nothing. One of the programs running on this machine (Ring Central) definitely conflicts and I am sometimes able to start Sidekick by shutting that program down, but that does not work all of the time. So the most reliable way of getting Sidekick to actually load up is to restart Windows and then open Sidekick before opening much else.

All in all it has gotten to be a PITA trying to stick with Sidekick and I really should be looking to finally ditch the program.

Doug

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=071c6d04-33d4-4cf5-99b9-d895b4860e5e&file=Sidekick_Start.jpg
That same thing happens to me, so I have to close down Cortana and then Sidekick98 will start otherwise it hangs just like that.

So now I wait for like 4 to 5 minutes and start Sidekick98 up first and that helped until now...

UPDATE:

Now when I start Sidekick98, it tries to reinstall itself and I have to click "ok" 2x then cancel and it starts up correctly...<shrug>...I can deal with that!!!

For me sidekick98 works OK with windows 10 apart from the annoying mast.wk invalid notice but every so often I have to re-enter my details ( name and location etc.) and re-select my calendar.

I loaded Sidekick98 in Win 10 on the C: drive. No problem. Works great

After a few months with no problems, I began having some problems getting SK98 to load on a computer running Win10. Presumably, M$ had issued an update that interfered in some way. I'd get the start-up screen and then SK would freeze. Sometimes I could shut down the SK processes and try again, and things would work, sometimes not.

But over the past couple of months, SK has started up just fine for me if I use the following procedure:
1. turn on the computer
2. go away to make coffee, pour cereal, feed the dog...
3. Come back no sooner than 4 minutes and no later than 6 or 8 minutes
4. start SK98 _before_ trying to start any other program (email/browser/...).
5. I'm good to go.

This procedure still worked when Win10 imposed the Anniversary Update on me a few months back. Unfortunately, the AU broke some other stuff (my internet connection: how can they lose the presence of a CAT5 cable plugged into the back?), so I reverted to an older version of Win 10. Presumably, M$ will re-install the AU on my computer one day, but SK should be ok. With luck, they'll also allow my internet connection to keep working.

Sidekick will not load on many machines if you have Opera or Chrome running, just exit those programs and open Sidekick and then re-open them.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back