Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 98 Doesn't close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich224422

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
Upon exiting, SK98 asks me to save cnanges. After answer yes, the program doesn't close, no matter how many times I chose and select save/close. I have to close SK by using the Task Manager - close program. Thankfully my new data is being saved in user data. This is a new issue for me, a very long time SK user.

System: Windows 7 Pro with all updates current and installed. Have also just reinstalled SK 98 with all of James 33 patches (TY James for the Umpteenth time). The issue persists.

No virus found, spyware checked, defragged, etc..... same result with SK closing.

Apology in advance if this issue is already addressed in a past forum...I couldn't find one. Not too urgent as the data is not being lost and SK is otherwise its very trusted self.

TY for reading this. Blaze

Dear Rich224422

Any luck yet?
Would be very interested to know what is causing this and if anyone else has come across this problem?

Regards
Jim

Hi Jim: Long time no talk. This is the darndest thing! I am going to always blame Micro Hard. It doesn't do it all the time. It goes for days without hanging up and then, like today, it has to be forced to close. Even the reinstall didn't chnge the issue. I tried closing all other running applications one at a time but do not find any that are conflicting and keeping SK open.

I have not added any virus check or mal ware apps and cannot find anything that can be causing it. I don't mind the little extra aggravation of closing it with the Device Manager method, but the thought of whether or not new work has been saved can be a bit frightening. So far it has all been saved.

Hope all is well with you. I follow the posts from time to time but don't have much to contribute lately. Usually a Google search will direct the user to the Tech Tips Forum and no other locations have found anyone with similar problem. Also, to my knowlege, no one here either.

Again: I am running Micro Hard 7 Pro, Norton Seurity Suite, all updates from MS (which is probably the problem LOL0, Toshiba new lap top with all the hot rod power stuff, and, of course, SK98 with patches. I now have about 18 years of data built up in SK and have no idea (nor desire) of how to migrate it to another program. Bottom line is SK works for me!

Your Friend "Across the Pond"

Rich

Hi Rich

Yes it is a long time, but this place is still on the go. ;-)

Hmmm your situation sounds bad; as an experiment have you tried the Alt + F4 method of closing too to see if that keeps the data you have entered?
It would be interesting to see the result.

Jim

Rich

Make sure the 'prompt for save on exit' is ticked in Tools|Options|General BEFORE you do the above.

Jim

Hi Jim: Yes. That prompt is checked. I will try that idea with the AlT F4, having first put some inconsequential data in one of my card files. Tht way, if it doesn't save it is no big loss.

With respect to backing up, I never liked the SK method of closing first. So, it has been my practice to copy and paste the SK closed User Data file into a separate file in My Documents titled User Data. I rename each folder therein with the date as in 06172014. I try to do this at least once a week and whenever I put in a lot of data (or some critical data).

Here's another couple of questions:

When I access the SK Help file I get a notation
'Cannot Find the C:\Program Files(x86)\Starfish\Sidekick98\PROGRAM\sidekickhlp file. Do you want to try to find this file yourself?"

For once, Micro Hard is right; it isn't in the Program folder. MS then tells me to reinstall it if I don't find it. I do not find that help file in the install discs I have made. Do you know a location for that hlp. file in the install program or on line?

Font Size; I can adjust all my font sizes except for the size of the font in the notes ares that is just below the field section in the contacts pages. All other areas, as in the Memos page, as well as the size of font in the card Field and the left side with the alpha listings, are adjustable. The size of the print in that memo page is too small. Card List font 14, Field 14, Content font size is probably 8. I adjust these in Tools/Prefernce/Gemeral and then the Fonts button selection. Selections are card - list, field and content and Memo list. I belive the card content area is probably the one I need to enlarge but the new size I set saves but does not change the size. It was this size adjustment question that led me to discover the SK Help file was missing.
Rich
I searched the forum but didn't find this problem.

EUREKA! Recent problem post: Missing SK Hlp. file. I could not find the help file on the forum and didn't not want to reinstall SK to get it. However, I found the missing SK Help file in my old laptop. Copied same and pasted it into the Sidekick/Program file. Works fine now! If anyone else needs that help file (which I suspect Micro Hard ate during one of their "necessary updates"), I have it copied and will share it. I don't think I can copy it onto this forum.

Still looking for the answer to the font question in my prior post.

Thanks All

Rich

Dear Rich

Font question, it is not possible to alter the font in the Contact Log independent of the Cardfile Field font. It is as it is. That's it.
If you have one of the online backups like Dropbox, Cubbies or Google Drive, you can put stuff in a public folder there and put the link here to share it.

Jim

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back