Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shore Tel

Status
Not open for further replies.

opg30

Technical User
Jun 6, 2006
US
I'm in an Avaya CM 5.2 shop, large enterprise, 4500+ users, spread out over 57 locations nationwide, and we have been looking at upgrading or getting another vendor, namely Cisco, not my favorite, after we installed some and I started working with it. I've seen the post about Shore Tel, and wonder if there has been anything recent about them. I'm concerned about the ease of administration/troubleshooting tools; Avaya is pretty good, an easy transition from the ROLM; Cisco is horrible. Then there are call center functions; reporting, status monitors, agent recording. Back to my original question; is there anything new about Shore Tel?

OPG30

I have heard good things about there product . I no a major hospital that is going to them so they must be reliable .

Telecon Lead Tech
NTT-Data

Winstonw, thanks for the reply. Would you be willing to share that hospitals name?

I was told it was Moses Cone Greensboro NC & NP for the reply :)

Telecon Lead Tech
NTT-Data

If you want ease of installation, MAC and service, you really should look at the Emetrotel system. They can do everything you listed and more and at half the price. Shoretel is all proprietary where Emetro is all based on open source.

^why wouldnt they just go cloud based if they were going open source? Why pay for all the servers?

Yeah and if you like Phones that operate like Avaya or former Nortel, with heavy telephony features, the Emetro option is good for that too.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

IPGuru said:
"Do it the cheap and it will cost you dear"

For half the price always have its shortcomings somewhere, usual in durability, reliability and availability.

intrigrant, you should check your facts before making statements like that. The emetro stuff is cheaper because they don't have exorbitant costs to deliver their solutions, not because it is is any way inferior.

Their appliance models are Dell Poweredge servers and their hosted version is hosted by Amazon. If the customer wants to use their own servers, they must meet or exceed the specs of the Poweredge boxes. If they want to keep and reuse their Nortel equipment......well, what can you say? It's Nortel equipment...some of the best equipment ever made!

I have installed hundreds of emetrotel systems and have yet to have one system fail. Without question, every one of them is referenceable and wouldn't trade them for anything!

I did not say it is inferior in any way, I just made a general statement that cheaper always have its cost.
In fourty years in the telecom business I have experienced that it is a hard and costly truth, whatever the vendor or fabricator of that (cheaper) brand says.

Well, I have 45 years and for the most part, what you say was probably true.....20 years ago. Today's systems are much better and cheaper and have been driven by customer demand for less expensive equipment and more, and better, features. Some manufacturers have stepped up and answered the call.....like Emetrotel.

Lesser known brands and systems out of places like China probably fall into the category you describe. Emetrotel is out of Plano Texas and was developed by the very same guys from Nortel that were responsible for the development of the M1/CS1K and BCM product lines so they know a bit about the product line.

Be happy with them and maybe they will conquer the telecom world, fine.
I rely on my experience and I am sure it is still valid and up to date.

eod

Wasn't the question about ShoreTel?

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

I guess Emetrotel has not any big development costs if they reuse Nortel coding and can pass that on to the customers as lower price.

And I have to agree with telcodog that Nortel has made the longest lasting equipment because I constantly install Avaya systems and they want to keep their old M-series phones from 1988. Ahhhhhhhhhh [bugeyed]
That is one of the reasons Nortel is no longer in business. Everybody only bought one system and stuck with it for 30 years rather than upgrading to a newer model with better features.

I asked ShoreTel once (2012) if I could become a dealer for them and get my training etc. but they did not want me because I could not guarantee that I sell 15 + system in the first year. So as good or bad they may be I didn't like their gun to the head sales tactic towards me.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

janni78 said:
Wasn't this about shortel?

Yes but these emetrotel guys are old phone guys who wont let go of the old times. Its been quite bothersome to watch them force a platform on their customers because they cant offer anything else.

and hosting voice with amazon?

we have been hosting our own servers for our cloud platform for years now and would never use that for our core feature servers. Good luck controlling any qos or uptime! Begging for trouble

We do use AWS to host our server backups, call recordings etc... so very familiar with what they have to offer. Thats a prime example of cutting corners or being cheap is using them to host feature servers.

Man I am up in the Canadian Rockies and Calgary now and everywhere we have gone has Nortel Meridian phones from brew pubs to the Lake Louise Fairmont. Not much Shoretel up here yet.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

Hey opg30, just heard today that Mitel bought Shoretel for over $400M!

After the fiasco with Polycom, I'm not holding my breath

That being said Mitel Announcement

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back