Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Internetconnection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobi

Technical User
Mar 27, 2001
NL
How do i share the internetconnection of my home computer with my notebook. I can share files by selecting the drives and or maps, but i cant select my connection and 'share' it

Are you trying to share an internet dialup connection? I don't follow your question, if you can be more specific? Also what version of Windows are you using 95/98 NT 4/2k?

david e

With IE 5.5 and updates to 98Se I believe there is a new protocol called internet sharing protocol, this allows you to share the internet with those in you house through a Peer to Peer network. Unless you have DSL or Cable, then you have to get either a cable router or a DSL router, call the company that houses you ISP and tell them how many computers are on your network. They'll instruct you on this.

If you do not have IE 5.5, you'll have to pick up a proxy server/client package, like WinProxy and set up the computers to use this.

If you have an old 486 kicking around you could always convert it into a router using coyote linux, the software is free and now the author has released the windows utility that allows you to create the boot disk from your windows machine.

The url is
I use it at work and it is great, no fuss no muss. It seems to work best with so-called obsolete equipment.... Plus it is a million times more secure then M$ internet connection sharing

Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back