Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing a laserjet 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.

viciousdogs

Technical User
May 7, 2003
US
I have a laserjet 1300 connected to a Windows XP Pro machine. I want to share the printer so it can be used by a Windows NT 4 machine but I keep running into problems.

If I try to load the NT4 drivers from the HP installation disk as alternate drivers on the XP machine I get the error "Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator for help locating and installing a suitable driver."

If I try to connect to the printer from the NT machine I get the messages "The server on which the printer resides does not have a suitable hp laserjet 1300 PCL 6 printer driver installed. Click ok if you wish to install the driver on your local machine." and "Printer driver setup error: The printer driver is unknown."

If I try to install the NT drivers supplied on the HP installation CD onto the NT machine I get printer driver cannot be found messages.

I am able to connect to the printer from other XP machines.

Is it even possible to share this printer to an NT machine?

Should this be done on the XP machine or the NT machine (or both)?

Install the PCL 5e point and print driver on the PC that hosts the printer in this case the one with Win XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back