Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share Not Mapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazhbu

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
We are in the process of changing from NT 4 to Win2k. Because of this it's hard to say what changes were made prior to the problem I'm about to describe.

Windows 2K Pro machines logging into an NT 4.0 domain are not getting the drives mapped. I'm not sure if the login script is not running, or if the command is failing, but I suspect it's not running. I can boot the computer, then run the command from a command prompt and it will map the drive. It is NOT working from the script. I know the bat file is in the correct directory with the correct permissions. This only happens with the win 2k Pro machines. The Win95/98/NT/XP machines all work fine.

Any ideas?

I know you said you have all this correct - but im just going to post this anyway for you to double-check.The most common reasons for the subject problem is:
1. The logon script is not replicated to the BDCs.

2. The logon script name is incorrect.

3. The logon script is in an incorrect location.

4. The user does not have permission to read the file.

The logon script must be stored on each domain control in the NetLogon share, which is mapped to %SystemRoot%\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts.

If you are replicating from the PDC, the script should also be stored on the PDC in %SystemRoot%\System32\Repl\Export\Scripts.

The logon script batch file name should be configured in the user profile by double-clicking the Username in User Manager for Domains, pressing the Profile button, and entering the script batch file name, without the .bat extension, in the Logon Script Name box. You may also set it in batch:

where the path is the logon script batch file name, without the .bat extension.

Also - In windows 2000, make sure you use only ANSI characters if using notepad to write the script. A DOS editor will use ANSI, but notepad uses unicode, and depending on your script (does it have environment variables in it??), it will not run properly with Unicode characters - it must be ANSI (successor of ASCII).

Hope something helps you here..

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Are the machines logging in LCALLY or to the DOMAIN? And are you sure? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

First let me thank everyone who responded. I really appreciate the input. I have figured out the trouble, and am working on a solution. Everything is configured correctly and the users are logging into the domain. Now, how about this new wrinkle, if I just reboot the computer it maps the drives. If I cold boot it doesn't. However, if I cold boot the system, then wait for a couple of minutes until all hard drive activity stops, then it will map the drives when I login. It's apparently a timing issue.

As I said, I have discovered the problem, now I need to research an answer.

Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back