Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up new SIP trunks ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everybody:

I'm going to be setting up our new SIP trunks hopefully tomorrow (Wednesday). I have two DID's, and up to five concurrent channels. This is how I would like to set everything up:

1 DID controls four channels (up to four concurrent calls).
The other DID controls the fifth channel (only one call at a time).

Would I set up two separate SIP trunks in the UCx, and assign four channels and 1 DID to one, and then set up another with 1 channel and the second DID? Four channels will be used for general inbound and outbound calling with our main number, but I want the fifth channel used for voice mail access from outside, and for emergency calls going out of the system.

Is that how I would set this up?

Thanks for your help!

Who is the provider?
It depends if they will setup two trunks without you incurring additional cost.
One provider I know, has 1 channel trunks and if you need more than 1 concurrent call you must purchase additional trunks @ $45 each.
Providers with multi channel trunks is the norm.
Many DID's can ride on one trunk which you can route both inbound and outbound the way you want.

That makes sense Islandtech, thanks. Megapath is the provider. Have you worked with them before?

I put everything in this evening and tested, and got nothing. I went into SIP settings and enabled the option for SVR lookups, and ...... I can make outbound calls!

However, no dice yet on incoming calls. When I try to call the number, this is the error that's being thrown up in in the log files:

(<our WAN IP address>:5060) to extension '<our number>' rejected because extension not found in context 'incoming'.

I'm guessing I'm getting this message because I've got nothing in my SIP trunk's setup in the box marked incoming. I have text in the box marked "peer details", but I was given nothing to put in the box that says "user details". I tried putting the same information as peer details, but that didn't work either. Any ideas on what I need to add in here to get calls to come through?

When I configure the inbound routes, do I create a separate route for the number of channels I have? If I have 5 channels, I would create a route for each one, right? Then I use the same shared call group tag so each of the phones can have 5 appearances - 1 for each channel?

I think I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the SIP world ... I'm so used to thinking of things in individual lines ... it's hard to think of one DID with five total concurrent calls.

Thanks for the continued help!

=M

I figured it out ... finally! After reading some sample configuration files, I realized that the context= string was set to "incoming" instead of "from-trunk". When I changed that, the call came through OK.

Now I just have wrap my head around the routes, and we should be good to go! I just might get the hang of this yet! :D

Never worked with MegaPath. I prefer providers with unlimited channels.
In the trunk settings, the incoming section is usually left blank.
Create an inbound route for each DID.
Shared Call Group: follow the Emetrotel Documentation in this Link
I had a group setup on 1 DID with ten appearances on each phone.
Providers that sell SIP TRUNKS are relying on the fact that most newcomers to voip haven't grasped the concept of SIP.
Think of it like a T1, but it can have as many channels concurrent calls as your bandwidth will allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back