Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server swapping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcam00

Technical User
Dec 9, 2009
US
I haven't work on PC for a long time so my knowledge is completely outdated.

I have a back office server that getting old (ThinkCentre MT-M 8148-B2U) and I want to swapping to a new (or newer model) machine.

Here's the deal, the primary function of this server is running ALOHA POS version 5.3.21, with two terminals connecting to it. The server is running window 2000, btw.
The objective is to copy/clone everything in my old server to the new server, so that when I reconnecting all of the existing network, the whole system work working flawlessly.
NOTE: The ALOHA POS software doesn't come with CD, that why I can not reinstall and mapping all the terminals to proper location for it to work.
Additionally, this software can only 100% operational with a secure key (embedded in the USB device) plug in the any USB port in the server.

Is the goal achievable? If so, can anyone help me to locate which copy/clone software would be able to do such. OR shed some light to provide me with ideas, website, tutorial or any direction where could I study about this.
English is not my first language, I apology for any confusion.
Greatly appreciated your time.

If you are swapping the server you need a CD. Loading the CD sets all the registry settings and aloha stuff up. Setup all the user and network settings just as they were on the old server. Once that is done, all you have to do is copy the entire Aloha folder over, a little bit of tweaking and it goes. Way to much detail to type out here, It is a project even for the experienced.

If you are not changing the OS, I do know that an IT guru was able to put the old HDD in a new machine, repair/reload Windows and drivers keeping the file system in tact and got it working that way by manipulating MS Windows and not Aloha. Once he had it going, he cloned it to the new bigger HDD the computer came with and was then rolling with a new server.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Thanks for your respond.
I just trying to do it in a simplest way possible, which is two options come to mind.
1. Either get a better quality server (IBM netfinity or something, took the hdd out and clone/copy from my existing server (I have this software in mind hope it would work.
2. Finding exactly same type/model of my existing machine, and replace the old part.
The things I concern the most if my existing hard drive, it might collapse at anytime.
Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Have you heard of Virtual Machines? If you image your Server to a Virtual Machine you can put the image of the machine on any computer later. My recommendation would be to use VMware or Microsofts HyperV. Go through the Phyiscal to Virtual Converion tool that is offer from VMware(VM Converter) Here is an excellent link on how

At that point the Software is abstracted from the hardware and you do not need the install disk. Let me know how it goes.

I agree with DTSMAN, the install CD on a clean install of Windows is the best way.

However...
You can use Acronis True Image to clone any HDD. Once you have the image you can restore it to a new disk, and should be able to switch to the new disk on the old server. I've had good luck with this software.

It's free courtesy of Western Digital:

Otherwise, see this thread for basic instructions on transitioning servers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back