Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kham

Programmer
May 2, 2001
CA
Hi.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would like to know what this mean when I boot up my Winnt 4.0.&nbsp;&nbsp;It has informed me to check my event viewer and when I did, this is what I get:<br><br>The computer browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:<br>not enough server storage is available to process this command.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>How do I get rid of this message???&nbsp;&nbsp;I do have Administration rights.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Another question.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have installed all the service pack up to service pack 5 and have noticed that I did not get an active desktop beside the start button.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a way to install it back without deleting any of the service pack?&nbsp;&nbsp;Please help<br><br>Kham

If my memory serves me correctly, the &quot;Server Service&quot; error should (should) be a service pack fix. If you already installed 5 that should have taken care of it. I would go up to 6 and see what happens. As for the active desktop, this may be a browser version issue.

Hi.&nbsp;&nbsp;What other fix can I use other than installing service pack 6?.&nbsp;&nbsp;Currently, our company are not upgrading to service pack 6 yet.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't know when, but for the time being, I have installed two WINNT4.0 (one on a desktop and one on a laptop 600x).&nbsp;&nbsp;Both have the server storage message.&nbsp;&nbsp;I did went to some sites and they were mentioning something about going into the regedistry editor to fix the problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am not really comfortable with regedit side, therefore, I did not follow the instructions.&nbsp;&nbsp;Anymore hints?<br><br>In regards to the Active desktop, I have IE5 with 128 Bit.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a site that you might know where to update the Active Desktop after installing IE5?

The server service error can happen usually due to 2 possible reason:<br>1) you have allocated not enough registry size in Winnt. Can be over come by going to system properties -&gt; performance -&gt; virtual memory -&gt; change... Somewhere below to popup screen is a setting for registry size. make sure the Maiximum registry size is slightly more than the curent registry size, say 10 MB larger?<br><br>2) You have reinstall the Winnt or install some programs that overwrite some files that the service pack requires. You just need to re-install the service pack again and it should be solved.<br><br>Active desktop comes with IE4 by default, for IE5 if installed on Winnt, Active Desktop is not install. Try installing IE4 first and upgrade to IE5 and you'll get be able to retain the active desktop.

Hi again.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks for the help.&nbsp;&nbsp;I managed to reinstalled service pack 4 and 5 and there is no more error.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>My Active desktop is available again.&nbsp;&nbsp;I reinstalled IE4 and the active desktop showed up.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks again

isnt there an IE5 for NT4?<br>goto windowsupdate.microsoft.com (have to go to this page on the computer with NT4, not any other computer, otherwise the options for things you can update wont make any sence to updating NT) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

There are know bug problems with Service Pack 5. I had numerious problems occur on my systems when 5 was applied, But when I upgraded to SP6A, the problems went away. Take a look at the KB's from MS.<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back