Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send alert message without sendmail running

Status
Not open for further replies.

samworld

MIS
Nov 2, 2003
MY
Hi all..

Basically we already have a filesystem alert monitoring script install to help us monitor all the filesystem size growth. Due to certain security reason we have to consider remove sendmail.

My question are there any way that Sun Solaris can send message out to another mail server without having any email service running.?If not what is the necessary step i need to take to improve sendmail security. Please advise.

Thank you

Regards
Sam

there is no need to run sendmail on your host IF you just want to send mail from this host; none of my Clients run sendmail daemon!

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

hi..

Is that possible , what is the command i need to use? i use "rmail" but the mail can't get through. Did you mean Sun Solaris system can send mail to another email server with have to start the sendmail deamon.? Please help.

Thanx

Regards
Sam

run

cat /etc/hosts | mailx -s test me@mydomain.com

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Hi

I had try this command and recive this error. I think is something to do with my sendmail services not up. But if i run sendmail than is ok...

=========================================================
root@srv # mailx -v me@mydomian.com
Subject: test
testing
EOT
root@srv # me@mydomain.com... Connecting to mailhost.srv.com via relay...
me@mydomain.com... Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.srv.com: host not found)
/dead.letter... cannot open: Permission denied
root... Connecting to local...
root... Sent
===========================================================

Please help....

Sam

try this (you enter the things in bold, italics depend on your site)

# telnet mymailhost.mydom.com 25
Trying 10.43.60.124...
Connected to mymailhost.mydom.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mymailhost.mydom.com ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2657.72) ready
HELO thishost.mydom.com
250 OK
MAIL FROM:root@thishost.mydom.com
250 OK - mail from <root@thishost.mydom.com>
RCPT to:me@mydom.com
250 OK - Recipient <me@mydom.com>
data
354 Send data. End with CRLF.CRLF
Subject: test
hello?

250 OK
quit
221 closing connection
Connection to mymailhost.mydom.com closed by foreign host.
#

If this does not work there is something wrong at your MTA Host (the host which receives the mail)

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - &quot;Home of the Whopper&quot;, oh no, &quot;Home of the Oktoberfest&quot; ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back