Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secure File Sharing on XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocode99

Technical User
Oct 6, 2006
US
Hi

I'm setting up a peer network for my friends law firm and I always thought XP Home was capable of setting passwords for file sharing, but I guess not. I'm pretty sure XP Pro will allow me to set a password for file sharing on the network (by turning off simple file sharing), but will this be a problem for XP Home users trying to access the database on the computer with XP Pro? ie, if I'm on the XP Home computer trying to access a folder that has a password, will it prompt for a password? Or do all the computers need XP Pro? Thanks.

The xp security model is not basic password protection the way that Win9x was; Windows XP security is based on the user credentials - the windows account's username & password. To answer the question, 'yes' when an xp home tries to access a share on an xp pro machine (with simple file sharing disabled), permissions will be based on the xp home's user credentials. Here is a very good tutorial

So by creating the users account on the XP Pro machine, does it have to match with the computer name on the XP Home machine? Or is it simply, when they want to access the drive, they have to enter a username/password that has been created on teh XP Pro machine?

Yes, for secured workgroup style sharing, every remote user account on the xp home machines will require a matching user account & password on the xp pro machine holding the share. With the matching accounts there will be no prompting for credentials. Keep in mind that there are limitations to this method because xp pro was not intended to be a server operating system. How many users will be accessing this machine?

About five people. The reason why I need the restriction is because by law, lawyers from different firms are not allowed to access each others files and there's one lawyer (and his secretary) that need to be restricted from the files. Otherwise, they share the internet connection.

I use a small effective program called to allow or disallow access.. its cheap and works very well. allowing access on XP from (I use for 15 ppl).

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back