Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

screen problem causes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greengal

Technical User
Dec 14, 2004
CA
Hi, I'm no pro but I'm the one most inclined to troubleshoot our families' pc's. My Uncle is having a problem with his new Sony Viao? laptop, he's got XP or XPpro. When he closes his screen (browser, task manager, anything), he is left with a smaller area that still displays what was on the screen before he closed it (just that area).
I've had stray boxes & bits of images left behind before after closing a window but it's always been solved by emptying the internet files & re-starting, which I had him do-twice. Still, the same thing.
The only changes made were the display's fonts were enlarged but the pc was working alright for 2 days after that.
Also, he has it plugged in, not on battery right now.
I can't think of any other causes for this or possible solutions. I'm not familiar with XP or laptops, though (my pc's got to be 10 years old now!).
I'm hoping someone has experienced this & can point me in the right direction?? Thanks.

Sounds like a video driver problem. Have you tried updating to the newest driver?

It may sound overly positive, but if it is easily repeatable and if he bought the laptop recently at a nearby store, the salespeople there may have seen the problem and have a solution already.

Following up on felixc, you may also want to call the mfg's tech support. Sometimes they can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back