Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO 5.0.5 Printing problem. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StamaMan

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
GB
I have just rebuilt the system after a disaster. Everything seemed to be working ok until a customer tried to print.
This is the error message:

UX:lp: ERROR: Can't establish contact with the LP print service.
TO FIX: Either the LP print service has stopped, or all message channels are busy. If the problem continues, get help from your system administrator.

run lp error.

I can print to any printer from root however if I log in as a user I get the error message above. I know the scheduler is running. I know the user accounts are created correctly.

Any help advice etc would be much appreciated

STAMAMAN

I have just rebuilt the system after a disaster
Have you applied the patches too ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Thanks PHV

Yes the system has been rebuilt to its original configuration. Since posting this FAQ I have removed all the printers and then installed them from fresh. I am still getting the same error.

STAMAMAN

Thanks stanhubble you are on the right lines. It turned out to be that the user accounts were not part of the lp group. As soon as I added them to the lp group everything worked correctly

Hi!

[cite on]
I have just rebuilt the system after a disaster. Everything seemed to be working ok until a customer tried to print.
This is the error message:
[cite off]

Verify if there's almost one printer device ...

scoadmin<return>
select "printer"
select "printer manager"
into this window verify if U have the printer dev install.
if no go to "Printer" voice in the menu and select "Add local" if you're printer is attach on lpt server!

Ciao! :)

Francesco

Francesco Cabigliera "Tadan"
----------------------------
Italiano Amateur Radio Station
----------- IW3IDS ---------
On Echolink - APRS Active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back