Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scandisk and defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryarman

Technical User
Oct 26, 2003
US
when I try to run scandisk I get a fatal error and when I try to defragment my c drive it just keeps restarting any help would be appreciated

Many people have problems running ScanDisk and/or Defrag, with the program running 10% or 30% and then stalling. Often with a message that Windows is trying to write to the drive. To run ScanDisk/Defrag successfully:

Go to Start > Run and type msconfig in the Open: box
On the General tab, uncheck all items listed under Selective startup (make sure that Selective startup is selected)
Hit apply and OK and restart Windows
This starts Windows with only the basics running; Insures nothing will interfere with ScanDisk and Defrag
Run ScanDisk and Defrag, when ready go into msconfig and select Normal startup and restart Windows

Or, just reboot into safe mode and run them there.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Second jontmke's suggestion. That works on my system.

"The best optimizer is between your ears."
M. Abrash

ran scan disk in safe mode worked ok then went to defrag and computer froze up didnt run defrag in safe mode

Hi;
Another option (for defrag at least) is to use another program entirely. Supposedly ME's defrag is superior to 98, but I find Diskeeper Lite works really well, and it means I don't have to do the reboot or msconfig stuff all the time. You can find it here: Now if there was only a better program for Scandisk!!!!
Cheers!

Pat

Norton's Disk Doctor and Speed Disk are good programs. I have been using them for years. Both work better the Scandisk and Defrag.
Disk Doctor = Scandisk
Speed Disk = Defrag. (Much better Program!) Diskeeper is a good program also.

Jon

Just do ctrl+alt+del to bring up task/service list.kill all programs except systray and explorer.
turn off screensaver . now win-defrag will run .leave pc alone during pass .

Umm.. What about your firewall? Like ZonaAlarm? Do you suggest turning that off? And that is the biggest culprit, it is forever writing log files.
Safe Mode is the safest way.

Jon

Just pull the plug to broadband if thats what you have .No one can infect a computer that's not connected ..

I have found that even after the Ctrl + Alt + Delete procedure, Scan disk still restarts occasionally. On the Tray look for the Task Scheduler and "Pause" it. It may be trying to run any maintenance program you have set to run. If the disk has not been run for a long time (weeks or months, for example) it takes much longer to run and is exacerbated by the spontaneous restarts. I've learn to cuss in 4 languages. I'm working on Swahili. FV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back