Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving high res .pds at same pixel density.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjonnnn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
US
I am using CS6 Adobe Suite. For some reason now, when I try to save a photoshop doc as a .pdf, it takes the 300ppi document and reduces it to 72ppi. I have Acrobat Pro also.

Here is every of what I am doing.

Photoshop Image Size
Pixel Dimensions
Width = 2550px
Height = 3300px

Document Size
Width = 8.5 inches
Height = 11 inches
Resolution = 300 pixels/inch

I SAVE AS PHOTOSHOP PDF

In first window Uncheck LAYERS

Next Window:
SELECTIONS:
GENERAL
Adobe Preset - I've tried High Quality Print and Press Quality
Standard - None
Compatibility - Acrobat 5 (pdf 1.4), BUT I've tried all the options
Options - Uncheck Preserve Photoshop Editing, and Embed Page Thumbnail, Optimize for Fast Web Viewing... although I've tried variations of check and unchecked.

COMPRESSION
Options - Do Not Downsample, but I have tried the other options
Compression - JPEG
Image Quality - I always use Maximum and High

OUTPUT
Color - Color Conversion - No Conversion
Nothing changed on SECURITY.

I have plenty of Photoshop documents, where Ive "saved as" a .pdf and the pixel dimensions DID NOT CHANGE, so I know my issue is not the norm. I've tried to check all possible options within Photoshop and can not figure what is dropping it from 300 ppi to 72ppi

As I'm writing this I did a test document. The psd is 65.74MB 2550 x 3300, 8.5 x 11 at 300ppi
As viewed in Bridge, the .pdf turned out to be 10.11MB, 612 x 792 ... doesnt show ppi But 612 x 792 is what the pixels would be at 72ppi.

I hope this explains better. Help.

Maybe your preferences need to be reset to their install state, they sometimes get "hosed" and strange things happen.

If you have previously set some preferences make note of what they are before you reset, so you can put them back to where you want them.

To reset to factory settings:

While holding down the [Ctrl Alt Shift ] keys

Click your Photoshop shortcut
or
Start > All Programs > Photoshop.

A Message Box will ask "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File" to which you answer Yes.

The Preferences file will be rebuilt to factory settings and hopefully your problem is fixed.

Sam

Thank you for your response. I will DEFINITELY try that.

Thanks. I tried it that didn't work. Would it be possible to do the same thing in Acrobat Pro?

I don't know, but I did find a link that claims you can do it all Adobe products the same way as for photoshop.

Note I was just guessing that the preferences could be corrupt as that seems to happen every once in a while; I've passed those instructions to many people over the years and it has fixed many problems.

Hope this helps

Sam

Just curious: why are you unchecking layers and then unchecking Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities?

Are you certain of the resolution change? Can you confirm by reopening in Photoshop? Bridge is known to incorrectly report meta data.

Thanks for you reply. I uncheck those because for the pdf I dont need the layers, nor do I need editing capabilities. I always keep my .psd. or .ai or indd's. I'm just converting to a .pdf to send to someone for them to print and use.

In Bridge is where it shows the fewer pixels. I did open them in Photoshop, and it shows the same amount of pixels as the original .psd. I guess what baffles me is, that some .pdfs show the correct pixels, e.g. same amount of pixels as the original .psd, and some don't ... in Bridge. The physical dimensions are always correct.

Bridge sucks.

If the PDF opens in Photoshop at the same size as the original then you don't have a problem. Ignore the nonsense reported by Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back