Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S8700 andS8300's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyb123

Programmer
Jul 1, 2003
GB
Anyone using these? We're about to install 2 S8700 and 4 S8300's.

Any tips or trips to look for?

MIke

"It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Well if you've never been exposed to them at all, then you're in for a trip. Especially if you don't have any data knowledge.. If you have data knowledge you should be able to pick it up pretty easily.

OH yea, and AVAYAs docs are awful, like usual..

BuckWeet

Cheers mate......

I've noticed how bad the doco's are. I've spent the last 9 years on nortel products so they can't be too bad....

"It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

A bunch of differences the most important for you is probably ASA connects to the IP Address of the S8x00 on port 5023.

Get ready to learn!

Thank you,
VOIPEng

As an ex-AVAYA Engineer I can tell that S8300 is a good product. Based on what you ordered you will need some training to configure and use them expertly.
On a user level it is almost plug and play!
I would suggest playing with them in the lab and first opening the Quick start guides before reading the user's guide which is long.
The Quick start Guides are short and right to the point,quite straightforward and give you a feeling of the things very quickly.
For the network manager it means learning more on VOIP, Definity(Not as much as you needed for Definity itself) in addition to data switches.
Most probably you bought some kind of GUI based management also.
For the network manager and advanced technician with proper authorization, knowing the CLI, some Linux might be handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back