Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running excel 2003 from FPW26

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchpeter

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
FR
I am trying to run Excel 2003 from within an FPW26 program using 'run /N {batch file that runs Excel}'. It does actually work but, each time that Excel opens, Windows install runs (very slowly) to install Excel Components - it appears to install two Excel features. It does not say what they are. After installer has finished the spreadsheet does everything expected of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what these features might be and whether it is possible to permanently install the features so that they do not have to install each time?

Sorry, I should have added that, if I immediately cancel the Windows Installer before it does anything, the spreadsheet still works! However, it is not really a solution because it takes a while after hitting the cancel button to for the cancellation to take effect.

Do you have the same behaviour, if double clicking on the same excel file? Because Foxpro's Run does not trigger much different than ShellExecute of a file. Run rather is for EXEs, but the problem you see would rather be related to Office itself missing something it wants to (re)install for that (old?) file type, perhaps.

If you once go through this, you may be through with it.

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks for the response. The spreadsheet works without the installer intervention if I run the file normally or via a batch file. The installer only comes up when I run it out of FPW26. My initial thought was, exactly as yours, that, once the components were installed, subsequent use of the spreadsheet would not involve any further installation but this is not the case. It happens every time I run the spreadsheet out of Foxpro.

Since Foxpro's "!" command creates a new instance of command or cmd.exe, you may need to check file paths and such to verify all the Office components can be "seen" from a DOS window.
Also, check your file associations for .XLS or whatever your spreadsheet types are. You may need to include some other command line parameters in your RUN command.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back