Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run Microsoft Office Accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melfineo

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2008
FR
A friend of mine has just purchased a very nice iMac as they are fed up of Windows. One of the programs they are reluctant to leave is MS Office accounts. Is there any preferably free way that this can be run within OS X? The owner is not very technical so the easier the better. They dont want to have ti dual boot. I have had a very quick look at virtual box but think this may be overkill and I'm not sure how easy that would be to setup?

you might want to have a look at CrossOver,
Personaly I would probably go with Virtual Box.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

What is Microsoft Office Accounts?

If you are referring to the general use of Microsoft Office, you can purchase the Mac version. You might also use the free OpenOffice.org, which can share the same files with MS Office.

Running Windows software through a virtual machine or through Wine (winehq.org aka CrossOver) makes the purchase of a Mac a really, really silly thing to do if you wanted to get away from Windows.

I'm with spamjim. Just fork out the $140 or so for the Mac home version of MS Office. The only difference between the Widows and Mac versions is that email is named Outlook in the Widows version and Entourage in the Mac version.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

I beleive the OP is looking to use MS Accounting, which does not have a Mac Version.

And yes, I agree with spamjim, why spend the money for a mac to run windows. But the OP's friend may not have thought the process through and is now faced with this issue.

Not trying to tick anyone off - Entourage is not anywhere near the product that Outlook is. MS has done a good job of creating an inferior product for the mac user, but then
again, Apple mail is nothing spectacular.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

But the OP's friend may not have thought the process through and is now faced with this issue.

If the iMac was just purchased, it could be returned for a refund.

Only options seem to be dual booting, using a virtual machine, returning the iMac, or finding another accounting app.

buy parallels runs like a treat and is easy to set up down load a trial version and test it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back