Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router - Netgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

trussman

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
I know this is not in the correct forum, but unfortunately there is not a forum for Netgear.

Anyway, I have seen a ton of extra traffic running into our router. The only we have made is hosting our own email. We have a Netgear VPN Firewall router. We had this before we got our server a few weeks ago. But now I am seeing a ton of traffic. Almost to point where it shuts down our network. I have to reboot the router to get it working.

Is this increased traffic normal for hosting our own email? Is there any way to reduce this traffic?

Thanks for your help.

Typically most organizations that host their own email have something a little more robust that an Netgear. What speed is your internet connection.

We have a T1 connection. I understand that what we have is not up to snuff. It worked great before we started hosting our own email, but now that we are getting so much more traffic through it, it just can't handle it.

What would be the best (low cost) router out there?

I use a Cisco 1811 (about $700). I have 3 different web-accessible application servers running under it and have NAT rules that forward traffic from the outside in.

It works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back