Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profiles Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2002
GB
I have 'inherited' a network with roaming profiles set up for all users and I wish to remove them since they are more grief than they are worth. The server is an SBS2000 server. I have made the change to the user in ADUAC so as to delete the profile path, (presumably leaving the user needing a local profile). I then logged on to the (WinXP) machine as admin and deleted the profile folder in Documents and Settings for the user.

When I logged back on as the user I would have expected it to create a new local profile for the user from scratch, but it didn't. It created a new 'user' folder in documents and settings, but the settings and profiles were stored on the server again!

I'm no expert on this and so need a nudge in the right direction. Why is the user still roaming (at least to some extent)...?

Some odd facts:

1. The profile in WinXP My Computer, Properties shows as local
2. Some settings are local, but some are not
3. The desktop and some other settings (such as connect to) are live on the user's share on the server?

Where is it being asked to store the desktop on the desktop share if not the user account in AD?

Help please - about to pull hair out!

For "Where is it being asked to store the desktop on the desktop share if not the user account in AD?"

I meant that the folder holding the desktop contents is on the network share. (sorry for confusion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back