Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Review time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, installing it here too.

So, what does the interface look like. Any better than W8/8.1?

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Well its essentially the same interface. But the Desktop mode gets the Start Menu Back with some live tiles instead of the familiar locations of Windows 7.

windows-10-technical-preview-start-menu-640x353.jpg

e.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

And Charms are gone

And it's still the Vista kernel, now at v6.4

Next question: with this being a "pre-beta" version (as some are calling it) this may be hard to tell but it administration any easier in 10 than 8/8.1?

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Little late to this thread, but I played with this back on 2nd or 3rd day I guess of release in a virtual box virtual machine... then I ended up reformatting the whole computer it was on anyway b/c of a couple of things that were bugging me.. so my experience is pretty slim. But from what I remember, I would say it's an improvement over Win 10 in finding things, at least. I didn't dig too much yet, but what little I did, it seemed a little more familiar, at least.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

>Next question

Dunno. What difficulties were you having in administration? And are you referring to a standalone environment or a corporate environment?

the start menu is much nicer! dont know what the hell they were thinking hiding the actual desktop with the annoying sliders

Sliders?

ProxyPirate,

Are you referring to the "tiles"?

See these references on live tiles to make sure on same page:

- referring to phone mainly, but still same terminology.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I never understood what was so difficult about clicking on a tile clearly labeled "Desktop" to get to the Desktop. Its like people seem to think like babies or animals; if you can't see its not there.

Anyway, I'm installing the W10 Preview on a virtual Machine using Oracle's Virtual Box to test it out.

So far, this looks like Windows 8: Service Pack 2. but hey... If people need a new number to distance it from the "oh so horrible" Win 8 that's fine.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Fascinating. Since I used my Microsoft Account on my windows 8 Installation, When I logged in to the win10 preview with it, it brought over not only my wallpaper, but my task bar arrangement, and couple other settings.

That´s nice.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

I personally like it to be left offline, and just linked to a local account only, but I can see the desire for being able to just log-in, and it restore your settings, like Apple and Android phones.

I've been using W7/8/10 on local account since I found out how to create them. I'm not connected to the internet most of the time. Just hate it when applications and OSs want ET to phone home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back