Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict access by time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iolair

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
Forgive me for asking a stupid question, I'm a newbie to ASA. Is it possible to block a particular user by time of day? I have a user that refuses to logout at the end of the day. Can I block that machine until 8:00 the next morning from accessing the internet? I'm concerned that it will weaken our security to have him logged in and just sitting there. Sometimes he even leaves email open. Management doesn't seemed concerned that this is a breach of policy.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Not sure if there is a way via the ASA I'm sure someone else will chime in if there is. Are you using Active Directory? If so, it might be easier just set logon hours for this particular user and you could take it one step further and restrict their login to just their workstation.

Jim W MCSE CCNA
Director of Network Services

You could create a time based access list. It would probably be better to just make a group policy that puts the computer into sleep or hibernation.

I wish I could put the users in "hibernation". But, thanks, good tips. I'll proceed with the AD time restriction.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back