Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restoring Eudora mailboxes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceboyd

Technical User
Jun 9, 2003
US
I upgraded to Eudora 4.3.2 a few year ago, but cannot import my mailboxes. I have the files in a sepeart folder for the archive value, and occasionally I need to look at these old email correspondences. But I cannot read these files. 4.3.2 any suggestions?

How did you archive the old mailboxes? Eudora stores its mail as plain text files. If you archived them by Zipping them, you then just unzip the files. You can 'import' them into eudora by unzipping the file into a file with a .mbx extension in the Eudora directory. It will recognize it as a mailbox with no index. It will automatically create the index. You should then have access to all your ols messages.

Vince Radice

Lance

A quick point: If you create a separate directory and extract your mailbox files in there, then edit the shortcut to Eudora.exe to include a parameter to point to the new path:

Something like

"C:\Program Files\Qualcommm\Eudora Mail\Eudora.exe" C:\Email

then it will use these instead, and it makes backing up the mailbox, contacts/history list and associated attachments very much easier than if it is held with the program files.

Another tip: put EUDORA.INI in there as well and you can have separate setups in different directories - eg perhaps for different ISP mailboxes, or for different users etc.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back