Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting a router via java

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluken

Programmer
Dec 31, 2003
US
I am running some servers from my home and my router crashes continuously (meaning that I lose my internet until I unplug my router and plug it back in). This is getting very annoying. And this is the second router that I have had issues with. Is there a way that I can use java to restart this without having to unplug it? That way I could perhaps setup a windows scheduled task kick off a hava app to ping my site every 5 minutes or so, and if there isn't a connection, force the router to reset? I am sure each router is different, but I have never used java to communicate with hardware. Is this even possible?

Depends on the hardware. If you mean update your dynamic IP, most likely it is possible. Google your hardware - and see what is available from the admin side. I have seen dsl router/modems that run a bsd variant with tomcat or apache webserver, which gives some flexibility for remote control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back