Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace MICS/When To regenerate keycodes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmich

Vendor
Aug 29, 2003
US
Hello,
I will be replacing an MICS 0x32 KSU soon. I worked with Nortel TAC and was given instructions on how to back up the data, which I am comfortable with. They advised me that the next step is to simply power down the KSU, pull ou the NVRAM cartridge and then install into new ksu to retain all data. But my question is the old KSU has PRI & MCDN activated. When and how do i regenrate the codes? After the replacement? Please help, I have to do thsi tomorrow. Thanks

Yes you will need the new MICS serial number to regenerate the key codes. its alwas best to wait until you power the ne system up to make sure the serial is correct.

You need to backup system with NRU then restore to new cabinet.

To re-genrate after you completed the swap you need to give an authorized Noretl vendor the new serial # then they can re-genrate the code for you via the KRS system on the Nortel site.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Curly,
You where right! Swapping the NVRAM did not carry over the data. It blinked for like 20 minutes then came up in a defaulted database. So much for Nortel TAC support! Hopefully my company did not get charged for the call.

Luckily I had a backup using NRU 11.0 . I then created a new customer with the sysid of the new KSU and restored ok. Regenrated codes and was back in business. Could it be that all these refurb MIC KSU's have old database's on them that cause NVRAM swaps to go loose pgm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back