Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removable E Drive totally non responsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

happygooner

Technical User
Jan 3, 2004
I have a strange problem that I cannot seem to resolve on my own.

On putting the memory stick pro from my mobile into lap-top as normal to access pictures I immediately encountered problems. The disk while showing would not open properly and in the end just kept telling me there was no disk in drive E and that I should add a disk. This when like I said the computer was showing the icon for drive E which disappeared as you would expect when the memory card was removed.

While messing around trying to get it to work I have simply made matters worse! Firstly I clicked on Autoplay which try as I might I am not able to reverse. I've tried resetting everything under properties of E drive to default. I've tried manually setting the thing to prompt me before doing anything and then applying. Still nothing. I've tried uninstalling the drivers (in the hope I could reinstall and it would be back to normal) which then tells me to shut down the computer. I do that only to find that upon logging in to windows (I am on XP by the way) the exact same thing happens. The drivers still appear to be there and the computer is still trying in vain to open this removable drive E every 2 seconds or so.

It is all the more strange when you consider the system is telling me all driver devices or working correctly. I have Spybot search and destroy, Adaware & Mcafee Virus Shield 8.0, all of which I use on a regular basis and have used recently. no viruses found, spyware removed etc....

I am completely stumped so any help people could provide would be greatly appreciated????

Cheers

Two possibilities: Bad stick or bad reader. has an excellent free utility to recover .jpgs from a a funky stick of flash memory. Worked great for my buddy who had some problems w/ his MemStick, we got everything back.

I have also had this happen when a card reader went bad, try viewing the pics on another machine or the camera. Card readers are cheap and yours may have gone wonky. If you can view the pics on the camera or another PC there's your sign.

Tony

Likely as not the stick has not registered as a drive in the Disk Management Console. Download Autofix from Microsoft. It is designed to fix problems with Autoplay.
ASG

Any chance you could provide a link for that ASG?

Cheers

Ok I tried using Autofix and it didn't find any problem and wouldn't let me change any settings. I understand that if I go into the registry I may be able to revert these back to normal. Would this be the case?

If so, how do I go about opening the registry and what commands should I follow? Tried doing start, then run, then typing regedt/v as someone had told me but this didn't open or find anything??

Can nobody offer any further advice on this at all? I'm completely stuck and haven't got a clue what to do to??:O(

question, did u try the stick on another pc, is it still working in ur mobile?

Yeah, that is the strange thing. Although I haven't tried it in another PC it is still working in my mobile.

Happy,
Things to check for:
Is your OS fully patched?
Any BIOS and or Chipset updates for your system?
Any Firmware/driver updates for your card reader?

My advice to you would be:
1. Do NOT touch the registry, it just seems to me that you don't have enough experience to be mucking around in there.

2. If the Device Manager isn't reporting any problems, then plug in the card and wait, wait some more, then wait again. If you're unable to disable Autoplay for that drive then let it finish and see what you've got.

3. Find another PC (Anyones!) and see if you see the same behavior or bring it to your local camera shop or walmart where they have card readers.

Let me know how you make out, if you continue to need help I'll be happy to do so.

-Chris

It never actually finishes which is kind of the problem and you are right I have nowhere near the knowledge or nous to be messing around with the registry.

I think taking the card to another pc or a camera shop may be the best idea but I thank you for your time and the offer of future help if it is needed.

Will update when I know more.

Cheers

Richard aka happygooner

Well having not tried it in sometime I just decided to give it another go on the off chance and lo and behold.....the card works and no autoplay so.....end of really.

Cheers for all the help anyway. Sites like this really are invaluable for people like me who wish to avoid paying some rich company a hue amount in technical helpline phone fees.

Richard aka happygooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back