Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access VNC or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyRiegel

Programmer
Sep 29, 2003
US
I'm am trying to solve a problem on my sisters computer that I cannot have physcial access to (unless I drive 8 hours). I had her download and install TightVNC because I have used it before only to discover that she has a DSL Router and her computer has a IP address like 192.168.x.x. I know here routers address but that don't work. Anything I can get her to put on her computer so that I can get access to it behind her router? She know nothing about setting up port forwarding or anything so I don't want her to even try to make changes to the router.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Randy

You'll need to use a web based tool like Webex ( in order to control her pc through a router. Or, just talk her through forwarding port 5900 (VNC) to her internal IP.

to get through the router you would have to set up the port forwarding features that pertaing to the software you use. to avoid that you can use pcanywhere and dial in from modem to modem.

The VNC port forwarding thing should work, but you could also use "gotomypc", a service you pay annually for from
It's not free, but it works great.

Just another idea.

With tightvnc, you can launch "TightVNC viewer listen mode" on your computer, if you have a router, have the port 5500 redirect to your IP address.
On your sister's computer, she'll have to run "Launch TightVNC server" an then, on the V at the bottom of the screen, right click on it and select "Add new client".
In the Textbox, she'll have to type YOUR ip address.

Like this, there's no port forwarding on your sister's router...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back