Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalled to Windows.000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JillC

Technical User
Jan 10, 2001
AU
I was asked to help with a Win98 system which hung and wouldn't restart because of missing files. I reinstalled Win98 - but I did a really dumb thing - I just accepted the folder it wanted to put it in. So the system now starts up but Windows is located in Windows.000 instead of Windows and most of the programs had to be reinstalled. Then I discovered that we'd dropped back to 16 colors and I tried every setting and alternative I could find but it wouldn't accept any of them. I can't find what video card it has to get a new driver. But in the meantime, There were about 60 folders of data which were recovered - a great many of these are data files which are needed and they've all been jumbled up.

If I reinstalled Windows 98 again, only this time put it into the old Windows folder, will that bring back the programs and the old settings such as the video driver?

Thanks.

That will probably bring back the old video. Programs may be another question, the reinstall may have created some different hooks from the original installations.
I would give you more than 80% chance of success of all but the scrambled data.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Well that didn't work. However I downloaded a program called Aida32 which told me I had a Trident Cyberblade video card and so then I was able to find the driver to download and get the colours back to normal. As for the programs - most had to be reinstalled.

Hi Jill,

My video problem is the same as yours following a Win 98 Install - see thread615-977579

I was pointed to AIDA32, but I haven't tried it yet - do you recommend it?

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

It is good. The name has changed but it is was still a free download the last time I checked.

You can also get the info you need from the system.
Start, programs, msdos:
debug
dc000:0000 and get a hex dump of the video bios
d gets the next page
you page thru till you get the chip info.
q to quit
exit to get back to windows from the DOS window

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hi MeGustaXL,

Yes, it's great. I unzipped it onto a CD and then ran it directly from the CD without having to install onto the 98 system. It's very easy to use, and free!

Jill

By the way, take the time to back up now while you have a booting system. I've seen data lost when reinstalling the OS, even if you install to a different folder. Always backup first, even if you have to pull the hard drive out, and slave it off another pc.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back