Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-install OS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

globus11

Technical User
Feb 12, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I’ve got ‘’DELL PERC 4/DI RAID(3 hard-drives, level 5, 1-virtual disk)’’and WinServer2003 on it. I would need to reinstall OS, actually format hard-drives and then to install the same OS.

My questions:

What direction should I go if I need to delete all data including OS…. ?

Is it possible to use just CDs(OS)… . Start with 1st CD(OS), during setup use format, or do I have to go to Perc BIOS, format hard-drives and recreate a virtual disk….?

I’ve never been working with this kind of configuration, any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

The PERC bios only creates the virtual disk. Once the virtual is up and running, treat the disk like you would any other and use the standard OS tools for partitioning, formatting, etc. Fdisk is your friend.

Thanks LawnBoy,

So according to what you wrote... I don't need to press F6 at the beginning of installation for additional device drivers...?

Thanks again for you help

Server 2K3 "should" have drivers for the PERC4. If it doesn't, you will need to hit F6 and specify the drivers.

This is just as if you had a single IDE drive. If Win(x) didn't come with IDE drivers, you would have to specify them.

What about if I download 'LSI Logic PERC 4 DI driver'from support.dell.com and after pressing F6 I'll install that driver...

What about firmware... . Will I need to install firmware as well?

I never do this before, so I try to get as much info as possible....

Thanks a lot.

If your firmware's out of date and you're having problems with the RAID container then yes you should do a firmware update. This will update the PERC bios. I personally have never needed a firmware update for a PERC, your mileage may vary.

If you're rebuilding then yes it's a good time to update the BIOS and firmware, it's not a requirement though.

Personally I'd download the Server Assistant image from Dell's website for your model server and build it off that, it's the bootable install CD you get with new systems and will load the correct drivers for you.

If you are thinking of upgrading the firmware, just remember that a particular release of the BIOS software on the PERC card is related to a particular version of the firmware, the driver for that card is then specific to a particular BIOS revision.

Make sure you have the compatable Firmware, BIOS and driver software.

I know this from experience.

Regards,

Andy

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back