Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

damhna

MIS
Sep 6, 1999
US
Okay guys this might seem like a dumb one but I gotta figure this out.<br>
<br>
My laptop (98) dials my PDC and runs its script and all is fine.I can map drives etc.<br>
<br>
My other PDC at a remote site and with whom a trust relationship has been established both ways.I configure DUN to dial my other PDC and I have finally managed to get it to authenticate.<br>
<br>
What next?<br>
I cant map drives.I cant browse.<br>
Dun tells me im connecting on IP,IPX and NetBIOS.<br>
<br>
Can anyone explain.<br>
If i do get it working how do I advertise whatever drives I have mapped to my users <p>Paul O'Connor<br><a href=mailto:damhna@hotmail.com>damhna@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>

Update<br>
When i try to net use i get<br>
There are currently no logon servers available to service the requestI can ping the destination machine<br>
<p>Paul O'Connor<br><a href=mailto:damhna@hotmail.com>damhna@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>

Hmm<br>
No its not <br>
Im not sure i understand why that would be an advantage<br>
Can you explain? <p>Paul O'Connor<br><a href=mailto:damhna@hotmail.com>damhna@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I've never been able to get RAS to work properly without WINS installed, or at least have the RAS server connected as a WINS client:)

Because Windoes does so much NETBIOS over TCP/IP stuff, you need WINS here and there to get name resolution correct. I don't understand all the details, but generally things seems to work best if WINS is running everywhere. Also make sure you have IP Forwarding turned on in your RAS Server.

I have installed the WINS service at my end and will have an engineer do the same remotely.Is it enough to have teh service running or do I need to start setting up scopes etc.?<br>
<br>
Ip fowarding is on.<br>
<br>
Thanks for your help folks <p>Paul O'Connor<br><a href=mailto:damhna@hotmail.com>damhna@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>

damhna,<br>
<br>
what did you do to make your software work???<br>
<br>
i can't seem to get modem to answer and allow access from a dial in????<br>
<br>
sounds like you've got at least halfway.&gt;<br>
<br>
thanks,<br>
<br>
carl

Does anyone know the best way to setup a RAS server on a Novell 4.83 network? If so, please give me some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back