Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid 5 server died...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfna

MIS
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hello all,

At work, we have a server that has a raid 5 setup...
channel 1 consists of disks 0 & 1
channel 2 consists of disks 8 & 9

Today one of my coworkers pulled out 0 & 1 and now there are errors and the computer will not boot up. It is saying that we have a degraded drive and implies that it is rebuilding the array, then windows boot up fails and it tries a network boot, wich we do not have..and then ultimately, we have to start the entire process over...not to mention the HORRID high pitch beeping that eminates from it.

We have an Adaptec 2200s raid controller and the harddrives are 150GB Fujitsu.

Either way, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

- "The truth hurts, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with no seat, but it hurts.

RAID 5 requires a minimum of three drives.

Why were two of the four removed?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Yeah, I don't know why he did it....I think he just said, "hey, I wonder what happens when I do this..." so now, we're attempting to rebuild it. We actually had 3 with 1 hot spare....so, when the first drive was removed, he was like, "cool, it works" then grabbed another and, here we are....

Thanks,
Kevin

- "The truth hurts, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with no seat, but it hurts.

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. You are now experienced in RAID5 in that it can sustain a single drive failure, not two. With your defined hot spare, you could have survived two drive failures, although not at the same time. Now you know the rest of the story. Handcuff your associate around your servers.

How was this Guy let near a server let alone it's RAID Array?

I would be revisiing your company policy on servers now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back