Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R7

Status
Not open for further replies.

telprog

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
I have got 2 out of about 10 R7's with a bad port out of the box failures, It's not a problems as they are replaced promptly but I was just wondering if any of you have had the same problems with the R7's

A trusted source for years.

Why didn't you check the processor out first before installing it? It's never a good idea to "open the box" at the customer's site. I always do a system clear, set the time and date, check all the ports and burn them in for at least a few days before they go out.

-Hal

Hi twofeathers,
If left up to me, I never take an untested system out. I don't burn them in like Hal does, but I do a default and basic program before I go. I haven't needed the spare that often. That includes in the shop.
-Chris

This is what bothers me. I had this system set up in the office for a week. Tested it every day for problems. Looked like everything was a go. It wasent until I cut out their Merlin 2 system and started adding the 7.0 system into service. When I first connected ext 12 & 13 they worked. I first noticed the backlite on sta 12 started going off and on, figured a bad connection...Checked wire then hooked up directly to control unit...same problem..
This is a very loyal customer, although this is a hard problem to swallow...They will be ok.
I just hope Avaya addresses this failure rate problem.

I guess it's not all that unusual for the number of problems to increase when an electronic device undergoes a hardware reconfig.

It does seem that the number of out of box, or shortly after out of box failures for R7, is on the high side. It is possible that Celestica, the company that Avaya contracts the manufacture of Partner products, is experiencing quality control issues. Articles on Celestica's website seem to indicate that the company has undergone some changes recently.

I am curious about the R7 out of the box failures. Has anyone used RJ45s into the bad ports and the sets? I have heard that on some R7 systems the RJ11's sometimes do not make good connections.

I have never used RJ45's unless it was an upgrade from a Merlin. If what you say is true then there is a jack quality problem that needs to be addressed by Avaya. Even though these are 8 pin jacks they are wired RJ14 since only the four center pins are used. Avaya (or actually AT&T) did it his way so that there would be no retermination of Merlin cables when the system was upgraded to Partner.

-Hal

Now, this has really caught my attention. Useing the butt set I get dial tone on my first pair, and hear data on the second pair. Compared it with other working ports and hear no difference. I have noticed the RJ-11 plugs are very hard to insert. I'm 80 miles from the system with bad port 3 & 4. I'll be back there thursday with a replacement 7.0 but will definately try the RJ-45 plug. If anyone has a7.0 they can test on in their office, let us know.

Hi twofeathers,
Interesting, the RJ11 plugs should be easier to insert than the RJ45's. Imagine trying RJ45's in those jacks. Of course it could be your RJ11 plugs. Something to watch.
-Chris

I once tried using 5E cable to connect to the terminal ports on an R6 ACS.

All of the telephone lines, ground wire, station wires and a MOH feed resulted in a cable holder that was so full, it was just about impossible to tie-wrap the cables into the holder.

Ended up going back to 2 pair CAT 3 cable terminated by RJ-11 plugs.

I terminate Partners and Legends using a homemade 25 pair terminated with RJ45 mod ends, wires cut to exact length. One 25 pair per card (the few pairs left over are cut off). Zip tie 25 pairs so there is stress relief. I don't like the customer yanking/kinking/pulling on loose 2 pairs which spoils the connection in several different spots. I don't even like the covers to be removed, because it can contribute to the cards getting unseated. I work on ALOT of older Partners and Legends and the spaghetti that I see throws up my red flags. I know, it's the way the manufacturer recommends, but they also hit up customers with 2-hour minimum service charges for a 10 minute retermination.

I don't run across many customers who want to move extensions. It's ususally an IT guy who can buy a punch tool, and I'll give them some 2 pair jumper.

I have a spool of 16 pair that I got cheap because not many people have a use for it anymore. But I use it for my Partner extentions on the 308's and on the legends for the 016's and I also hook up 4 MLX ports per cable. Looks good and keeps the customer from moving the cables at the equipment.

Don

I make harnesses for the Partner and Magix using 2 pair CAT-3 like Dexman. All the plugs are tiewrapped to exact length and I terminate on a BIX (similar to a 110 on both sides). I treat all systems like the real PBX installations. Loose cables give me the creeps, and it seems there are lots of service calls on systems done like this.
-Chris

I terminate Partners and Legends using a homemade 25 pair terminated with RJ45 mod ends, wires cut to exact length.

I used to do pretty much the same but now I have them made for us. Too much of a PITA to do a lot of them.

25 pair CAT3, each successive 2 pairs (cut off the last pair) on a RJ14 plug, 12 extensions total per cable. Each 2pr breakout is sleeved with small black PVC tubing and numbered 1 through 12. Shrink tubing over everything at the breakout point.

I even do the same with 6 pair for the CO line jacks (2 pair, 6 lines total).

I actually got this idea because most of the AT&T or Lucent installed systems all seemed to use 4 pair versions of my CO line cable. Never found where it came from, and for sure those guys didn't make it up!

Either case I punch down the other end on a cross connect though I suppose if you wanted to spend more money you could put an Amphenol on the 25 pair but problem there is you don't have any way to adjust the length. Much neater without.

There is a company that is selling something similar though I think it is a 25 pair terminated for 8-2 pair extensions and 3- 2 pair CO lines for a Partner 308 or ACS card. I like my way better and even with having them made it's a bit cheaper.

Been doing this for about 12 years, should have patented it while I could.

-Hal

I went by my customer with the bad ports on the 7.0 and
tried a RJ-45 plug....This is not the problem.

When I first plug in the line cord the backlite comes on for about 5 seconds, then re-cycles...On and off.
Monitoring the data pair everything sounds like all the other ports. Anyone know what the voltage should be on this pair?

I have ordered over 6 of these and 2 have been returned. Ports DOA *and* have had problems working with Mail VS (upgraded recent client from a Partner II with Mail VS). Mail VS R4 had problems recognizing the touch tones from the R7 processor. Spoke to my distributor's tech support team; they contacted AVAYA - of course, AVAYA hasn't heard of this before...

All in all, great little packaged system.

While you guys are finagling with the R7 and its problems, I am installing the NEC DS systems. By the end of an install I am falling asleep from bordom because these systems go in so smooth and so reliable..........

GS is right. I put in my first New R7 today (sub job)and extentions 12 and 13 did not work. The backlights came on but that was it. If it were an NEC DS2000 I wouldn't have to go back on monday.

I sent an E-mail to Avaya to see if they know of any issues with the R7. I don't what kind of response I will get back, but it can't hurt to ask. [ponder]

I am interested in re-visiting this thread that started Nov 5 th. ACS 7.0 failures. I am on my third replacement card
on a new install and was wondering where the interest in this problem has progressed. I'm sure the problem, if any hasent simpley gone away. I have 3 new installs before the first of the year and a 7.0 is the perfect fit for the customer, but am go gun-shy of going with the 7.0.....
Hate to down talk my bread and butter, Does anyone think it could possibly be my supplier?...Or simply a bad bachs my supplier got?

Thanks for the shoulder to cry on..

It's not the suppliers as it's happening all over, they comming from Avaya. Just be sure you deal with a supplier that will take care of you in a hurry. I get overnight replacement from mine so it isn't a big deal and I keep a few spares in stock.

A trusted source for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back