Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question about licensing for Server 2008 terminal service ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakakaka77

Technical User
Jul 14, 2010
US
Hi,everybody:

I am going to setup a server which is going to run windows server 2008 x64 with terminal service, and having MS Dynamic GP runing on it. And then we want our workstation can remote access the server to run Dynamic GP.

what kind of licenses we need ? and how much are they ? is it a one time purchase ? if one of our workstation has been replaced after it is received a license from server, what we need to do when we put a new workstation on ?

Thank you!

Hi kakakaka77,
So if I'm corect you're going to use your 2008 server to publish your end client to you workstations? Or does the software just run on the server and the client is installed and "points" at the sevrer to work?
I'm guessing it's the first option as you're asking about TS licenses.
License costs do differ depending on how many you buy, but a basic setup would cost you around the £120 mark (not sure if you're UK based) and that is for a 5 CAL pack. You need to decide whether you want Device or User CALs also. Will you be having multiple users on a single machine, will each user have their own machines, or will many users use different machines? these are question you need to answer before you buy your licneses and set up for TS.
It is a one off license I believe the ame as when you buy your Windows CALs.
To answer your last question, if you go down the user CAL route, then a new workstation is irrelevant, if you go Device CAL, then TS CALs have an expiration date of 52-89 days after issuing. Licenses that are not used (because the client does not connect to the TS anymore) will automatically be returned to the LS after the expiration date. In the meantime, your new clients will get a temporary TS CAL, which is valid for 90 days.

Hope this answers all your questions

Paul

Paul Thomas
Important IT

Licensing....

I have a client with GP10 running on a TS 2008. Not sure of your setup, I installed the GP 10 client on the TS, accessing the GP SQL database instance on another server. As faster or faster then running the client on the workstations, depending on how many users access the TS at one time; be aware you need horse power in the TS if many users are using it at one time, as in end high end CPU, mucho ram and fast disk subsystem.Not sure what the proformance would be if you plan on placing the server instance on the TS, that is a lot to ask of a TS with many clients logged in.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back