Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Profile keeps replicating

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbgrs

Technical User
May 8, 2002
US
At various times the user will log onto his win2k pc and it will create a new profile. The new profile is named username.000 and then username.001. The new profiles seem to be a default profile because it does not keep any of his settings. It doesnt always happen. After I delete the additional profiles he could go 3 weeks before it happens again. I have tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I have even re-imaged the PC. Any idea's?

I have a few things you might try...

First, make sure the user has full rights to his/her profile directory.

Go the Security tab for %systemroot%\profiles\%username%\ and verify user has full control over their home directory. If their domain account does not have full control, it will cause a new profile directory to be created.

Second, make sure the user has full control over the ntuser.dat file in their profile directory. The NTUser.dat hive gets loaded into HKEY_Current_User and includes all of the individual users registry settings.

To do this, follow the following steps.

1. Log on with a local-administrator account (not the user's account).

2. Change the permissions on ntuser.dat to allow the user to access it. Start Regedt32 and go to HKEY_USERS. With HKEY_USERS selected, click the Load Hive option from the Registry menu. Select the file "%SystemRoot\Documents and Settings\Profiles\username\Ntuser.dat, where username is your domain account name.

3. When prompted to enter a key name, type in any name as it just corresponds to the temporary location. You can now see an entry for the new key. Select it and click Permissions from the Security menu. Now, add the user and give him/her full control. You may also want to click on Advanced on the security tab and choose Replace Permissions...

4. Click on the hive you loaded and choose Unload Hive from the Registry menu.
**** YOU MUST UNLOAD THE HIVE OR THIS WON'T WORK ****

5. Finally, you need to change the path Windows looks for the profile. In Regedt32, go to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

6. You should see a list of SIDS. Look for through the SIDS until you find the ProfileImagePath value pointing to the erroneous directory (i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\username.dom when it should be C:\Documents and Settings\username) . When you see this, edit the ProfileImagePath so it points to the appropriate directory

7. Log off of local administrator and log back in as the user, this should bring back the correct profile.
- Tweek -
Information Systems Analyst
Consulting Group in L.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back