Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procomm does not answer calls automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBIN

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
US
Hello Knob and others,

I(or atleast I think) have done everything that should make procomm naswer an incoming modem call automatically.

1) In the system setup, the following are set
a)modem connection to be available to procomm
b)procomm should answer incoming call after 2 rings
c)accept data terminal calls
2) Transfer protocol is XModem
3) In answer options these are set
a)Procomm plus answer calls
b)Data
4) Ran the Host script and set modem, normal user, open, recycle options. Also created couple of users, one as sysop and the other as normal user.(Tried both as sysop too)

When I try to connect, the other system says it is connected but procomm is not connected. Modem lights are not turned on. However procomm shows Ring...Ring... on the status line.
Dialup monitor log shows as "User Connecting" and then says Inactive once the other system disconnects.
But if I do it manually by "Answer Data Call Now", it does get connected.

Am I missing any setting here??
My situation requires procomm to connect automatically.
Any one can throw some light as to why procomm won't connect automatically but works manually. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

This DLL was there in programs folder, but still copied the latest from symantec site.
Nothing happened. Looks like earlier.
Yes, 4.8 is the version.

Tried the disconnect modem, restart system, connect modem, restart - still the same.

Any more thoughts?

What happens if you just put Procomm in auto answer (data only, no fax) and don't run the host script? If everything connects successfully, the CD modem light at the bottom of the Procomm window should turn red and any text typed on one computer will appear on the other screen.

Knob,

I have put procomm in auto answer mode only for data. And I don't run host script. I only see Ring...Ring... on the status key, procomm does not get connected. But the other end is connected.
While connecting, if I choose "Answer Data Call Now" ie, by manual mode, it gets connected. As you say I can see everything that is typed on procomm window as well as something from the connecting m/c too.

My OS is NT 4.0. Does that have to do anything?? Also I have installed in "E:" directory. I know it should't be of any problem, but just making sure.

Any more ideas??
Thanks much.

Next thing I would do is see if Hyperterminal can answer a call successfully or not. You should be able to find it in the Accessories | Communications program group off of your Start menu. If Hyperterminal can't answer the call as well, then I would suspect either a hardware issue or possibly a dodgy modem driver. It may not hurt to reinstall (or get newer drivers, if available) your modem driver to see if that makes a difference.

Hyperterminal answers call perfectly.
Our network guys are looking into remote access services and modem settings and properties.

Is the user an Administrator or a lower-level account? I'm not sure how Procomm works on non-privileged accounts, although since you can answer the call manually might make that moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back