Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Probs with Wireless Network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

camster39

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
Trying to get my WinXP machine using a D-Link DWL-650 cardbus adapter to connect to my Netgear router. After installing the software for the d-link, I see my available wireless network (with the SSID of the router), however I am unable to connect. I've noticed that my network device switch does NOT show my wireless option -- only my intel 100 network connection is available.

In summary, Winxp shows an available wireless network --- I click on connect to get to the network and nothing happens. My D-link instructions tell me to run the configuration utility from my desktop -- when I try to do so, it just beeps at me and I can't go any further. Again, my network device switch in my systray does NOT show me a wireless option.

Thanks

There would be two icons in the task tray if everything was working correctly. The absence of the icon for the wireless is a symptom, not a cause.

Try disabling the XP wireless zero configuration service. Start, run, service.msc You will find the Wireless Zero Configuration Service near the bottom of the list. Stop the service, and set its startup option to disabled.

Reboot and try the connection through the client software again. Help it out a little bit by setting a default connection profile, specifying channel, SSID, and WEP settings accurately. Disable, if an option, the use of 802.1x authentication.

You might also use Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, to remove Hotfix 815493, the WPA initiator Hotfix.

- Very often the default channel that your router is signaling is shared with many other devices, cell phones etc. If possible you may want to change the current channel setting to another.
- Also, any personal firewall clients such as the Microsoft firewall client with Windows XP can interfere with you connection. Sometimes you may have to remove this through add/remove programs to see if that is you block. Of course I would try all other options such as those listed in the first thread before going this far.

Another thing to check would be if your wireless card is set to ad-hoc(p2p) or infastructure(AP) mode.

I have had a similar, but opposite problem. I have a dlink router and a netgear adapter. I could not get the netgear adapter to connect even though it looked as though it could see the network. I tried everything, shutting off wireless zero config, reinstalling the adapter (about 15 times). I finally just went out and bought a dlink adapter and it worked the second i plugged it in. I dont think dlink and netgear are friends.

I also have a similar problem.
D-link wireless router 614+ with a D-link wireless adapter 520+ works fine. However, I have problems with a Zoom 4105 wireless adapter.
The router and adapter see each other’s MAC and SSID, channel etc. are all identified by the adapter, but it doesn’t get an IP from the router. Manual IP settings for the adapter doesn’t help.
Any ideas?
Eyal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back