Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with running commands from command prompt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mquinn0908

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
US
I have a brand new Dell PowerEdge 2650 that I have configured as a domain controller within our domain. I have one other domain controller and these two are replicating to one another. My problem is with the new server I am having problems running commands from the command prompt. What happens is when I am in the command prompt it is already pointing to C:\documents and settings\administrator.leech and then I try to run any command such as ping, ipconfig, nbtstat, etc. I get the following response:

'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

If I change the directory to C:\winnt\system32 I am able to run these with no problems.

What is causing this and how do I resolve it?

You need to make sure you have a path variable pointing to your system32 dir.

Good luck,

FredUG

I can change the path to the system32 dir and it runs fine but on other servers and workstations I am able to issue these commands no matter what path comes up and even from the root of the c: drive or other drives on the machines and I would like to be able to do this on this server as well. How can I accomplish this?

Hi.

Try this, go to settings /control Panel / System (icon) /Advanced (tab) /Environment Variables (button)/System Variables

and select the variable PATH, select edith and verify that this lool like (%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem)

Candelario Dimas
MCP, MCSA, MCSE

Candelario,

Thank you so much that did it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back