Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with BDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenK

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
I have developed an application with Delphi to work against a SQL Server database. If I set up a TDatabase component and point a query/datasource and DataGrid and it I view the contents of a database table. From some machines I see the correct strings - ie. 'some text with é characters' displayed in the resultant grid. From other machines with the same operating system (Windows NT 4.0 workstation) I get a situation where the 'é' is converted to a '#' (so I see 'some text with # characters' and then causes this data to be passed through the system.
I'm guessing other people have seen this issue on developing applications ?
Is there a solution ?
I have downloaded an update of the BDE (bde511en.exe) and will attempt to use this and see if this corrects the issue.

As a further note - on the machine I have the hiccup with (# in place of é) I can see the correct string data through using SQL Server Query Analyser.

Can anyone offer any advice with this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi there,

I had a similar problem with the german characters ö,ä,ü,Ü,Ö,Ä and ß and Interbase. I've had to change the language driver setting in the BDE-manager to the appropriate language (here: DEU latin-1).

May be this helps.

Greetings

nori

Thanks nori.
I actually came to the same conculusion having to set the LANGDRIVER to 'ascii' ANSI in order to resolve this. Thanks for the advice.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back