Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

chichitsai

Technical User
Dec 11, 2009
CA
I just bought a ATA (Analog Terminal Adapter) and plug it with my Norstar 3x8 dr5.1
the problem is that I can't seem to dial out. Whenever I start dialing, my analog phone gives me this "busy signal" tone.
Plus, even when I unhook my analog phone, i don't see on my m7208 that line 1 or line 2 is occupied.
Any help?

I am testing also by dialing from my norstar phone to my analog phone and when I pick up the analog phone, my norstar just keep ringing....sounds like the analog phone didn't even pick up the call!

Are you able to make internal calls OK?. Are you able to access the Mntce section within configuration (this depends if your Norstar has this availability!) and check the port status to see that the ATA has been seen by the Norstar?.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

How do I check port status?
The internal phone works

Assign outside trunks to pool. Assign pool to ATA DN. Dial 9 to access outside trunk group.

Assign lines to a Pool
Allow set access to that Pool
Allow 2 Intercoms for that set
Allow Prime line for that set to that Pool
In Capababilities set Hotline to External and add a Pause (F78)

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I have a 3x8 dr5.1 with all extensions sharing 2 lines. When a calls comes in, all extensions rings. I am able to pick up in all extensions.
I have never use pools and trunks...is it necessary?!
By the way, when I go on my analog phone and i press for example 22, my extensions 22 does ring. Since I don't have line 1 and line 2 on my analog phone, how can i program it so that whenever i unhook my analog device, it will automatically select a select line 1 or 2?

I put all lines on pool A
Allowed set access to pool A
Allowed intercom: 2
allowed Prime line for that set to that Pool
set Hotline to External and add a Pause (F78)
But I still can't dial out...it remains the same. only internal call only

Curly and A2Xprt are correct in the directions they gave you... but lets break it down so you will understand why we have to create the Line Pools and a Line Access Code.

Your 3X8 sees the ATA. When you call internally there is a link that connects the digital and analog phones together.
But when you try to dial an external number from the analog phone, you have no telephone lines to pick up. On the digital phones you have the availability to see the lines and pick one line or the other to call out. But, when you try to call out with the analog - the phone system does not know what to do for you, so it sends back a busy tone, telling you there is a error in processing the call.
The Analog phone does not have this capability of seeing the lines and choosing, so you need to create a Line Pool. The phone system will choose the available lines from the Line Pool - it will pick the unused line so you can call out.

Creating this line pool will not affect the digital phones, it will only give the analog phone direction; an automatic route for dialing out of the system.

Thanks for all your help. I figure out that my line 3 was also in the line pool A (however i do not have a line 3, only 1 and 2). So I just switch my line 3 to another unused pool. Everything is good now. Thanks for all the help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back