Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems sending e-mail from home

Status
Not open for further replies.

progolf069

Programmer
Jun 13, 2001
US
I am using Outlook Express, and can't seem to send e-mail using my work e-mail from my home computer. I can receive e-mail on the account, but am unable to send e-mail to outgoing mail recipients. I can send e-mail to all of the other e-mail addresses of the same domain, but can't send them to outgoing e-mail servers. Here is the error message that Outlook gives me:

Code:
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'progolf069@hotmail.com'. Subject 'testing e-mail ', Account: 'mail.ksmerchandise.com', Server: 'mail.ksmerchandise.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Can anybody help me with this issue? What might my problem be? Thanks for your input!

I am sure there are others on this list that know more about this issue but I will tell you what I think it may be and what little I know about it.

It sounds like a relaying issue to me. Although, most e-mail servers will tell you in your error message that they dont allow relaying.

Relaying is when an outside domain sends mail through your server to an address other then the domain of the e-mail server itself. You would need to open up your e-mail server at work to allow relaying from Hotmail (not an option I would suggest). The problem with doing that is every company that sends out spam will soon know of this and start sending mail from a Hotmail account through your server.

Hope this helps,

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back