Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems seeing EMC based storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpuxadm

MIS
Oct 7, 2002
US
Ladies and gentlemen,

I wanted to run a problem past you in order to see if ANYONE has seen this in their shop.

I curently have a very large, mixed environment that I have channeled up to several EMC arrays. We are using Fiber(fabric mode) and are dual connected to seperate switched for maximum redundancy.

The problem in question is a Solaris 2.6 box. What we are trying to do is connect to a 5430 using a JNI TACH card.

The problem is this.. Although after loading the driver, making the necessary changes to the fcaw.conf and sd.conf, I not only CANNOT get any other devices to show up on the target I want them to display on(for this case, let's say I want ALL newly discovered devices to show up on target 17). The only thing that will display is the 7MB VCM database.

The other thing that is strange is that even though I have specified the devices to display on target 17, the VCM database still shows up on target 0!!!

This is not good in either event.

I have tried to fix this by clearing out ANY instances of the fcaw from the path_to_inst file and no dice. The annoying thing is, I have seen this happen 3 times in our shop, and there seems to be no clear cut explanation.

ANY help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

The VCM Database will always show up on Target 0.

For the rest it is hard to say. Can you include a copy of you sd.conf and fcaw.comf and also an INQ?

Sounds to me that if you cannot see anything but the VCM there is a Volume Logix issue.

I take that back, You said Target 0. That is a problem. Are you using Powerpath or DMP?

I've seen this problem before under Emulex LP8k cards. The problem turned out to be screwed up entries in the lpfc.conf file (i.e. missing ";'s"). I'll bet that you've got a similar problem. Upon reboot the server would only see the VCMDB on LUN 0.

if you can see the VCM database, then you can bet (99.9999%) that it is a volume logix issue.
Have you added access for the HBA's to see the luns?
A quick way to check -
> fpath lshbavols -d \\.\physicaldrive1 -w <wwn>

Liam

Hi,

Can you provide the serial number of your Symmetrix box and the FA where your Solaris 2.6 is connected to, also can you send the sd.conf, the etc/system and the fcaw.conf.

Christian
EMC France
chris_g_fr@yahoo.fr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back