Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with TCP/IP connection orientated protocol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTmuncher

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
GB
Hi

Ive got DCOM working ok with a VB server and a C client.
Im using impersonation to call the object with cocreateinstanceex.

all is fine.

when I remove all available protocols apart from connection orientated TCP/IP on both client and server I cannot connect (CoCreate).

The event log states that DCOM could not connect using the provided protocols.

If I run a packet sniffer and enable UDP using dcomcnfg
I can see the UDP connection happening ,and then some TCP/IP packets containing parameters etc..

I have removed all other protocols due to the increase in speed of initial connection. but TCP/IP does not seem to work on its own. Ive tried setting port ranges of 5000-5020
but that seems to interfere with IIS.

Is anyone else having these problems or can anyone shed any light on this??? X-)

Any response appreciated

Jim.
s-)

Hmm... you might have a couple issues going on here. First, did you use dcomcnfg to set your port ranges? There's a bug in dcomcnfg that ms doesn't talk about much but which f*cks up more than enough installs. Check out microsoft.com/com and look for the white paper on setting up dcom through a firewall for the full details.

If you did use dcomcnfg for the port range, delete the following key hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\rpc\internet

Second, just a general comment, set your port range higher, about 10,000 is safe.

Hope that helps.

- j

Thanks for your response.

Ive deleted registry key rpc/internet, as IIS would not start AT ALL. This has fixed IIS!

Ive started again with two fresh installs of NTserver and NTworkstation.
Ive configured the security to allow a particular domain user to access and launch object.

but when I delete all protocols apart from TCP/IP connection orientated, it still says 'DCOM could not connect using the provided protocols.'

Ive tried using port range 10000-10020, but still the same problem.

If I allow UDP or TCP tunneling as well, it works!
but why not TCP conn orientated on its own?? %-(

Im working on a local area network on the same hub!
Am I completely stupid, and overlooking something simple?

Any help highly appreciated!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back