Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with opening database

Status
Not open for further replies.

njb

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
My PC was just upgraded to XP and Access 2003. And now I am having problems opening my databases (access 2000). Each desktop shortcut has a target path that points to Access, the wkrgrp, and then the database. The open fails because Access is trying to open the mdb as a data access page. Anybody have any ideas on how to get around this? TIA

Nobody has any ideas? I really need help!

If you having problems using the desk top shortcuts, wouldn't it be better to find the different Access databases using the file explorer and open them from there? Once they are opened (if they open successfully), get rid of the old short cuts and create new ones.

Vist me at

The files are located in the same drives and folders as they used to be. This is a typical target path:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" /wrkgrp "I:/PlanningTimeTracking/system.mdw" "I:/PlanningTimeTracking/PlanningTimeTracking.mdb"

I'm thinking 2003 doesn't recognize the workgroup parameter and is trying to open the mdb as a data access page. But I don't know what to put there instead. I work in a centralized IT dept and have multiple access applications that I support. They are located in different departments and sometimes different servers. Some have security, some don't. So I've always had shortcuts set-up to point to the correct workgroup for that application. Does that help?

PS - I'm a Braden too!

That's ok. Parts of the Braden side of the family migrated to California from Canada at one time. I think in the late 1940s. Do you have any long ago or distant Canadian relatives? We have several family lines we have lost track of. Like your pics BTW.

I emailed you at the email address on the webpage. When I click on your name here it says the page is under construction.

That is because I am too busy doing everyone else's webpage.
:)
gbraden-at-visi.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back