Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with JVM running on Pentium 4 processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

solid

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2001
US
I have installed Oracle 8.06 client on a pentium 4 box, running Windows 2000 professional. Everytime I launch Net8 east config, I recieve the following error message. JRE caused an invalid page fault in module JAVA1.DLL at 015f:6ee37f4a. Do any have any suggestions, patches or bug fixes to coorecting this error. I'm able to duplicate this errror on six other pentium 4 PC's.

Thanks,
Solid

I know that Oracle 8.0.6 isn't certified to run on Windows 2000. I'm not sure if that's also true of just Oracle 8.0.6 client. However I suspect that's more likely to be the problem than issues with pentium 4.

It's not a compatibility problem with Windows 2000, because I have Oracle 8.0.6 client working with a Pentuim 3 box. I believe the problem is with the JAVA runtime environment v1.1. Does Oracle 8.1.6 or 8.1.7 client work with Oracle 8.0.6 server?

Yes, Oracle 8.1.7 client works just fine with Oracle 8.0.6 server. Actually that's what I use. Most of our servers are still 8.0.6, due to a compatibility problem with our application software. However I have 8.1.7 client installed on my desktop and am using it successfully with our servers.

hey,

FWIW, I've installed 8.0.5 client on two W2K servers with no problem (Oracle anyway, getting Rational apps to work w/it is different story:).

does the rest of the client work correctly? if you can connect with thick JDBC then obviously JDK & OCI are working so I'd just manually edit tnsnames.ora and move on.

if not you may have to do the TAR thing.

good luck!

I see Oracle bugs filed against Pentium 4 machines, even for Oracle 8.1.7. You may not be able to avoid the problems by upgrading to a newer version of Oracle client. See, in particular, Metalink note 131299.1 - Oracle Installer 8.1.X Hangs on Machines with Pentium 4 Processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back