Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem running FileMaker Pro from a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolac

MIS
Mar 11, 1999
IE
Hi all, you may or may not have any ideas but I work in a university and at the moment, we are having a problem with our copy of v2.1 being run from a network. Whenevern anyone tries to run the program (from a Mac), it gives an error saying : "The network version of FileMaker Pro cannot run without access to the master copy" Anyone any ideas? The current thinking is that there is a file that needs to be set to sharing or something like that but we are not sure. <br>
<br>
Any suggestions would be great!

Perusing our old software manual collection, I don't see any reference to this error message in either FM 2.1 or 3.0. I've not seen it in 4.0. My guesses: Are you trying to run FMP _Server_ instead of the Client program? We have seen an error when two copies of v. 4.0 are fired up simultaneously with the same serial number. FM rightly complains and refuses to run the second copy, alerting the user he's been stopped from piracy. Is there a copy running somewhere on the network which might cause such a denial?

The good news - I think I've seen that message. The bad news - I haven't the faintest idea when or why. Like CJ, I think it might have been something to do with having FMP Server and Client programs not being used properly.<br>
Only serial number checks?! We have had it get its knickers in a knot if it thinks we are running more copies than are registered.

The scotch has started to repair the old damaged brain cells. Sometimes, if FMP crashes, it refuses to accept the fact; thinks it's still alive. Try to start it again and weird messages can occur. BRS time. (Big Red Switch = re-boot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back