Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting to network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayden61

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2006
BS
I am having a problem connecting to a network printer. My network operating system is win2k server and workstations are win2kpro. What I am trying to do is connect to a printer that's connected to my server using the network connection. Whenever I add the printer I can go through all the steps to where the printer is shown in the printer folder after u're finished using the add printer wizard. But when I right click on the printer and select properties I keep getting the message that the printer drivers are'nt installed do I want to do so now. And after installing the drivers from the manufacturer's (HP) cd, when I right click and select properties its the same thing over and over again.

This is frustrating because I need to be able to connect to this printer. Its a HP4250 laserjet.

Help!!!!

Have you tried addding the printer using the HP installation CD (you will probably get the option of Local or Network) rather than via the Windows AddPrinter icon?

Have you tried deleting the printer then instead of adding a printer just open network places browse to the printer and when found right click and connect.

This should install the printer drivers for you automatically.

Yes to both. Have tried installing the drivers from the HP cd but when I'm done doing that and I go right click on the printer icon and then go to properties, I keep getting the message that there are no drivers installed.

This happens everytime. When I add the printer, I specify it is a network printer and put the network address for it. The add printer wizard finds it and asks if I want to use it as my default printer. However when I try printing to it or looking at it's properties that does n ot work.

Here's my setup. Win2k server on compaq proliant server. Printer is an hp4250 laserjet attached to the server. Workstations in that area are connected to the network and are in a workgroup not domain. All run win2k pro. Printer added using wizard and connected as network printer. Some workstations are able to use the printer with no problems. Others I have this problem. All use static ip addresses and all setups are the same.

Suggestions....??

are you trying to print to the ip address of the hp printer? if so, do not connect the printer as a network printer, connect as a local printer using either a standard ip port or the HP port if one was created by the cd and then continue with the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back